A VEHICLE THAT HELPS THE PLANET
● The same height and width of a semi trailer-essentially the maximum allowable.
● The vehicles will be battery powered with electric drive axles. Other forms of power/propulsion
are possible, though not preferred.
● They will be Initially manned, but optionally, and eventually, autonomous.
● The initial concept will focus on cleaning particulates - PM2.5 and ultra-fine particles (UFP).
though some of the gases produced by internal combustion - NO, CO2, SO2, VOC’s - may also
be targeted at some point.
● The Initial concept will incorporate a specially designed HEPA filter. Further refinements or
possibilities include a wet scrubber, such as a venturi system, an electro-static precipitator; a dry
bed system for gases, or any combination of these. The HEPA filter probably has the least cost
● The filtering system will include pre-filters for water, corser particulates, bird strikes.
● The HEPA filter must be capable of very high flow rates, and large face pressures.
● The system may include internal fans, although the main method of generating air flow is vehicle
motion. It must be capable of efficient filtering at vehicle speeds as low as 5 - 10 mph and as high
as 60 mph.
● The vehicle will have pollution sensors to gage the concentration of the relevant pollutant -
● The tires on the vehicle may be Run Flats - military tires that can still function after deflation.
The purpose of this is to ensure continuity of operation while driving on a road shoulder that may
have debris or other sharp objects.
● A potential variation of this concept is to combine this air pollutant scrubbing function with that.
● The vehicle may have Independent suspensions both front and rear for obstacles and so roll
stiffness can be carefully calibrated with roll bars or some other device.
● Both front and rear axles can steer independently for greater mobility. This will provide a tighter
turn radius, and lateral movement. This is to facilitate obstacle avoidance on roads and
particularly on shoulder. Possible independent steering at each wheel for zero radius turns.
● The vehicle will display on itself various statistics related to this program - e.g., current
particulate concentration, amount of pollution collected that day, lives saved, illnesses prevented,
days added to climate deadline, i.e., point of no return.
● This vehicle will also capture non-exhaust particulates - particles from brake pads, tires, lubrication
oils that account for approximately 10% of roadway particulates.